PHOENIX — The Obama administration has told federal agencies to prepare for a possible government shutdown if Congress can’t hammer out a deal to fund government after Sept. 30.
U.S. Rep. David Schweikert (R-Ariz.) said the only political leader talking about a shutdown is the president and Schweikert doesn’t believe it will happen.
“Within our budget we will defund Obamacare but all of the rest of government will be funded,” Schweikert said. “We will put together a continuing resolution which I am not happy about. I would prefer we were doing full scale budgets but that’s where we’re at right now.”
The Senate is expected to strip the “defund Obamacare” provision and send it back to the House.
The last government shutdown happened in late 1995.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.