PHOENIX — With the push of a button, Valley Metro is providing a safety zone for teenagers in crisis, either at home or on the streets.
The cities of Phoenix, Mesa and Tempe announced on Wednesday a partnership with Valley Metro and Safe Place, a national youth outreach program that provides support for young people facing homelessness, abuse and other dangers.
Teens who feel like they’re in trouble can go to any of the 28 light rail stations across the Valley and use an emergency call box to get in contact with Safe Place.
“Our youth use public transportation, so we can hit a big piece of the Valley with this system,” said Cynthia Schuler, CEO of Tumbleweed Center for Youth Development in Phoenix.
Schuler said the Safe Place program brings vulnerable youths to their shelter, where they can provide housing, education and other resources.
Valley Metro’s light rail system is the second in the country to collaborate with Safe Place.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns