PHOENIX — With the push of a button, Valley Metro is providing a safety zone for teenagers in crisis, either at home or on the streets.
The cities of Phoenix, Mesa and Tempe announced on Wednesday a partnership with Valley Metro and Safe Place, a national youth outreach program that provides support for young people facing homelessness, abuse and other dangers.
Teens who feel like they’re in trouble can go to any of the 28 light rail stations across the Valley and use an emergency call box to get in contact with Safe Place.
“Our youth use public transportation, so we can hit a big piece of the Valley with this system,” said Cynthia Schuler, CEO of Tumbleweed Center for Youth Development in Phoenix.
Schuler said the Safe Place program brings vulnerable youths to their shelter, where they can provide housing, education and other resources.
Valley Metro’s light rail system is the second in the country to collaborate with Safe Place.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night