PHOENIX — There are still a few days left before fall arrives but the National Weather Service said metro Phoenix had a record-breaking summer.
June through August was the hottest three-month run on record. Marvin Percha with the National Weather Service said the average nighttime low in June, July and August was 84 degrees while the average daytime high was 106. The average of 95 degrees is two degrees above the norm.
“Looks like we’re on the way to being the warmest summer on record, mainly because of the warm overnight lows,” Percha said. “The increasing heat island (asphalt and concrete) as the city continues to grow is really keeping our nighttime temperatures up.”
Previously the hottest summer in the Valley was in 2007 at 94.9 degrees.
The hottest day was June 29 at 119. The record of 122 was set June 26, 1990.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.