PHOENIX — There are still a few days left before fall arrives but the National Weather Service said metro Phoenix had a record-breaking summer.
June through August was the hottest three-month run on record. Marvin Percha with the National Weather Service said the average nighttime low in June, July and August was 84 degrees while the average daytime high was 106. The average of 95 degrees is two degrees above the norm.
“Looks like we’re on the way to being the warmest summer on record, mainly because of the warm overnight lows,” Percha said. “The increasing heat island (asphalt and concrete) as the city continues to grow is really keeping our nighttime temperatures up.”
Previously the hottest summer in the Valley was in 2007 at 94.9 degrees.
The hottest day was June 29 at 119. The record of 122 was set June 26, 1990.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development