PHOENIX — A border volunteer said he is expecting a rise in border deaths, especially as the United States makes it more difficult for illegal immigrants to enter the country.
“The consistent policy of the U.S. government is to make it difficult to get here by setting out surveillance and walls. That changes the routes people take,” said Migration Ministries Reverend Robin Hoover.
Hoover said smugglers and cartels are growing more desperate to get people into the U.S. at any cost and if that means losing many lives, so be it.
“They’re pushing people into really rugged terrain and looking at the whole border we’re seeing a spike in deaths from Brownsville, Texas to San Diego,” he said.
The Border Patrol said the number of immigrants crossing into the United States and being apprehended in the Tucson Sector has dropped dramatically from 616,000 in 2000 to 120,000 last year, while drug seizures have risen.
Agent Brent Kagan said criminal organizations are becoming very desperate to push drugs and people into Arizona and to do that they will move into the more remote and dangerous sections along the border.
Earlier this week, the Cronkite News Service reported that 146 bodies were found along the border this year, compared with 125 last year.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon