PHOENIX — The jury has found former Phoenix police officer Richard Chrisman guilty of aggravated assault.
The charge carries a 5 to 15 year sentence.
Chrisman was accused in the fatal October 2010 shootings of Danny Rodriguez, 29, and his dog, a pit bull. He said he acted in self-defense.
Chrisman, a nine-year veteran of the force was later fired.
The jury deliberated for four days before arriving at a verdict. Chrisman faced second-degree murder, aggravated assault and animal cruelty charges.
A court official said Monday that the jury had a verdict on one charge but was hung on two others.
Chrisman’s partner at the time testified he saw no threat justifying the use of deadly force.
Defense lawyer Craig Mehrens told jurors the partner had fled the trailer home in fear and wasn’t able to see what prompted Chrisman to fire.
Prosecutor Juan Martinez contended the partner did the right thing after witnessing police wrongdoing.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona