PHOENIX — The jury has found former Phoenix police officer Richard Chrisman guilty of aggravated assault.
The charge carries a 5 to 15 year sentence.
Chrisman was accused in the fatal October 2010 shootings of Danny Rodriguez, 29, and his dog, a pit bull. He said he acted in self-defense.
Chrisman, a nine-year veteran of the force was later fired.
The jury deliberated for four days before arriving at a verdict. Chrisman faced second-degree murder, aggravated assault and animal cruelty charges.
A court official said Monday that the jury had a verdict on one charge but was hung on two others.
Chrisman’s partner at the time testified he saw no threat justifying the use of deadly force.
Defense lawyer Craig Mehrens told jurors the partner had fled the trailer home in fear and wasn’t able to see what prompted Chrisman to fire.
Prosecutor Juan Martinez contended the partner did the right thing after witnessing police wrongdoing.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates