PRESCOTT, Ariz. — Warnings are going out to seniors in Yavapai County as well as across the nation about a sweepstakes scam.
The Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office said it has received an overwhelming amount of complaints regarding various scams by phone and internet during the last several weeks. The most common one involves victims receiving an unsolicited phone call announcing they have won several million dollars and a new Mercedes-Benz sedan, according to a news release.
Department spokesman Dwight D’Evelyn says in order for the “winner” to receive the prize they are asked to pay processing fees up front via credit card or wire transfer. One 84-year-old Prescott man fell victim to the scam and lost more than $3,000.
Most of the calls to seniors in the Prescott area have come from an 876 area code, which belongs to the country of Jamaica. D’Evelyn recommends people ignore the calls from the area code but if they happen to answer to hang up and alert authorities.
“We had a gal who was threatened because she questioned some of the issues that the suspects were bringing up,” D’Evelyn said.
The Federal Trade Commission has further details on Jamaican fraudsters on its website.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development