PRESCOTT, Ariz. — Warnings are going out to seniors in Yavapai County as well as across the nation about a sweepstakes scam.
The Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office said it has received an overwhelming amount of complaints regarding various scams by phone and internet during the last several weeks. The most common one involves victims receiving an unsolicited phone call announcing they have won several million dollars and a new Mercedes-Benz sedan, according to a news release.
Department spokesman Dwight D’Evelyn says in order for the “winner” to receive the prize they are asked to pay processing fees up front via credit card or wire transfer. One 84-year-old Prescott man fell victim to the scam and lost more than $3,000.
Most of the calls to seniors in the Prescott area have come from an 876 area code, which belongs to the country of Jamaica. D’Evelyn recommends people ignore the calls from the area code but if they happen to answer to hang up and alert authorities.
“We had a gal who was threatened because she questioned some of the issues that the suspects were bringing up,” D’Evelyn said.
The Federal Trade Commission has further details on Jamaican fraudsters on its website.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night