PHOENIX — A hearing has been set for 1:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Capitol regarding House Speaker Andy Tobin’s bill to help the families of the Granite Mountain Hotshots who were killed in June during the Yarnell Hill Fire.
The hearing will consider upping the benefits of 13 seasonal hotshots to match those of six full-time hotshots — all of which were killed — and to make ensure all seasonal hotshots receive the equivalent of full-time benefits.
“They (Granite Mountain seasonal hotshots) were not covered under many of our laws including pension and survival benefits,” said Assistant House Minority Leader Ruben Gallego. “We are trying to find a way to get them included. If we’re going to be putting men and women in harm’s way and expecting them to have the same level of professionalism as our fulltime firefighters and hotshots then we need to pay them and give the full benefits to them and their families as full timers. It’s not fair.”
Gallego serves on the House Public Safety, Military and Regulatory Affairs Committee that will hear Tobin’s bill, which seeks to provide Yarnell with the money needed to repair infrastructure damaged in the fire, including broken water lines that crushed under the weight of heavy fire equipment. Gallego said that would cost Arizona about $2 million.
“We should do this right away and quit messing around with this,” adding that Arizona has about $500,000 in the fund.
Gallego said the final decision that affects Yarnell and the families of the hotshots may have to wait until lawmakers go back into session in January, but there is the possibility of a special session being called.
“It this isn’t done correctly we could get sued and have the money taken away,” he said. “We need to do this in a proper manner so we don’t cause more emotional pain.”
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas