PHOENIX — A critically acclaimed novel has created quite the stir in Sierra Vista.
“Dreaming in Cuban,” written by Christina Garcia, was adopted as part of the Buena High School tenth grade curriculum. However, no one on staff read the book before a new teacher assigned her class to read it aloud in class.
The problem started on page eighty of the book. The passage reads “Hugo and Felicia stripped in their room, dissolving easily into each other and made love against the whitewashed walls.”
It became much more erotic and descriptive after that.
“Yes, it was read out loud,” said Sarah Pacheco, district spokeswoman. “There was definitely some awkwardness.”
One parent filed a complaint with the district prompting district leaders from issuing a public apology to the parent and the community.
Meanwhile, the book has been pulled until a committee can determine if it has any educational value.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development