PHOENIX — A critically acclaimed novel has created quite the stir in Sierra Vista.
“Dreaming in Cuban,” written by Christina Garcia, was adopted as part of the Buena High School tenth grade curriculum. However, no one on staff read the book before a new teacher assigned her class to read it aloud in class.
The problem started on page eighty of the book. The passage reads “Hugo and Felicia stripped in their room, dissolving easily into each other and made love against the whitewashed walls.”
It became much more erotic and descriptive after that.
“Yes, it was read out loud,” said Sarah Pacheco, district spokeswoman. “There was definitely some awkwardness.”
One parent filed a complaint with the district prompting district leaders from issuing a public apology to the parent and the community.
Meanwhile, the book has been pulled until a committee can determine if it has any educational value.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick