PHOENIX — A critically acclaimed novel has created quite the stir in Sierra Vista.
“Dreaming in Cuban,” written by Christina Garcia, was adopted as part of the Buena High School tenth grade curriculum. However, no one on staff read the book before a new teacher assigned her class to read it aloud in class.
The problem started on page eighty of the book. The passage reads “Hugo and Felicia stripped in their room, dissolving easily into each other and made love against the whitewashed walls.”
It became much more erotic and descriptive after that.
“Yes, it was read out loud,” said Sarah Pacheco, district spokeswoman. “There was definitely some awkwardness.”
One parent filed a complaint with the district prompting district leaders from issuing a public apology to the parent and the community.
Meanwhile, the book has been pulled until a committee can determine if it has any educational value.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.