PHOENIX — Along 19th Avenue, just south of Glendale Avenue, the Woodbridge Apartments touts itself as “home of the loft,” but Phoenix code inspectors call it a “slum property.”
The designation comes a year after crews served a search warrant on the two-story complex. At that time, residents told KTAR they battled rats and pests and went without air conditioning for weeks at a time. Inspectors said they found unsafe balconies and stairways, exposed walls and green pools.
Code Compliance Supervisor Patrick Ravenstein said they found 97 violations for inadequate air conditioning, but the property owner, Los-Angeles-based HK Realty, fought them, mostly because current city code does not require a temperature range.
“The property owner’s going to argue the unit is working because there’s air blowing, but the unit is still super hot inside, sometimes 93, 95 degrees 97 degrees.”
Ravenstein said they want to modify code to require a temperature no lower than 70 and no higher than 90 degrees.
Ravenstein said a judge has sided with the city and HK Realty is scheduled to be sentenced this month. Because it’s a civil case, the sentencing will likely involve fines. The city also has a criminal case against HK Realty involving more than 300 counts.
Ravenstein said HK Realty is appealing the city’s designation as a slum property before a civil appeals board. If the board allows the designation to remain, Ravenstein said city crews can inspect the property at any time (currently, they need a search warrant) and bill the owner’s for the work.
Inspectors, lawyers and police have spent hundreds of hours investigating and documenting the cases against Woodbridge and HK Realty.
“Anytime that we’re doing these type of large investigations then [there’s] a lot of other complaints or concerns from other neighborhood residents we’re not looking into,” said Ravenstein.
We were unable to find a working number for Woodbridge management and calls to HK Realty were not returned.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food