Gov. Jan Brewer on Monday ordered flags at all Arizona government buildings to be lowered through Sept. 20 in light of the mass shooting at the the Navy Yard in Washington.
“With the entire nation in shock and sorrow over today’s heinous mass shooting at the Washington Navy Yard, I ask that all Arizonans join me in prayer for the victims, their loved ones and everyone affected by this senseless rampage. Let us pray also for the first responders and medics as they tend to the wounded, and for members of law enforcement as they work to piece together this tragedy,” Brewer said in a statement.
The governor’s order coincides with President Barack Obama’s proclamation that flags should be lowered on all public grounds, military posts and overseas U.S. embassies and outposts. Brewer also encouraged Arizona citizens and businesses to participate in the tribute to honor the victims in Washington.
A former Navy reservist, Aaron Alexis, opened fire early Monday at a Navy post just two miles away from the nation’s Capitol. Thirteen people died in the attack, including the assailant, who was gunned down by police.
It was the deadliest shooting rampage at a U.S.-based military installation since Maj. Nidal Hasan killed 13 people and wounded more than 30 others in 2009 at Fort Hood in Texas.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas