Gov. Jan Brewer on Monday ordered flags at all Arizona government buildings to be lowered through Sept. 20 in light of the mass shooting at the the Navy Yard in Washington.
“With the entire nation in shock and sorrow over today’s heinous mass shooting at the Washington Navy Yard, I ask that all Arizonans join me in prayer for the victims, their loved ones and everyone affected by this senseless rampage. Let us pray also for the first responders and medics as they tend to the wounded, and for members of law enforcement as they work to piece together this tragedy,” Brewer said in a statement.
The governor’s order coincides with President Barack Obama’s proclamation that flags should be lowered on all public grounds, military posts and overseas U.S. embassies and outposts. Brewer also encouraged Arizona citizens and businesses to participate in the tribute to honor the victims in Washington.
A former Navy reservist, Aaron Alexis, opened fire early Monday at a Navy post just two miles away from the nation’s Capitol. Thirteen people died in the attack, including the assailant, who was gunned down by police.
It was the deadliest shooting rampage at a U.S.-based military installation since Maj. Nidal Hasan killed 13 people and wounded more than 30 others in 2009 at Fort Hood in Texas.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona