Gov. Jan Brewer on Monday ordered flags at all Arizona government buildings to be lowered through Sept. 20 in light of the mass shooting at the the Navy Yard in Washington.
“With the entire nation in shock and sorrow over today’s heinous mass shooting at the Washington Navy Yard, I ask that all Arizonans join me in prayer for the victims, their loved ones and everyone affected by this senseless rampage. Let us pray also for the first responders and medics as they tend to the wounded, and for members of law enforcement as they work to piece together this tragedy,” Brewer said in a statement.
The governor’s order coincides with President Barack Obama’s proclamation that flags should be lowered on all public grounds, military posts and overseas U.S. embassies and outposts. Brewer also encouraged Arizona citizens and businesses to participate in the tribute to honor the victims in Washington.
A former Navy reservist, Aaron Alexis, opened fire early Monday at a Navy post just two miles away from the nation’s Capitol. Thirteen people died in the attack, including the assailant, who was gunned down by police.
It was the deadliest shooting rampage at a U.S.-based military installation since Maj. Nidal Hasan killed 13 people and wounded more than 30 others in 2009 at Fort Hood in Texas.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon