PHOENIX — Arizona State President Michael Crow sent a letter emailed to students Monday addressing a recent surge in bad fraternity-related publicity and an unrelated surge in arrests near campus.
One ASU fraternity, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, was ranked the most out-of-control fraternity in the country by Rolling Stone. Jack Culolias, a 19-year-old member, was found dead after a fraternity function where he was served alcohol. He was kicked out of the bar and wasn’t seen alive again. Another 19-year-old member was left at a Tempe emergency room after consuming at least 20 shots of tequila.
ASU no longer recognizes the chapter.
“The university also takes swift action in instances of student misconduct involving individuals or organizations,” Crow said in the email. “The recent incidents involving fraternities have resulted in groups being banned from the university or placed on probation. Individuals involved in serious cases of misbehavior have been dismissed. ”
As part of the fraternity crackdown, ASU now requires both fraternities and sororities to register all events, both on- and off-campus. Greek members are also being pushed into leadership roles for a broadened alcohol awareness program.
In addition to the issue with fraternities, ASU is also working to shed its party school images. It is working with the city of Tempe and police in a campaign around campus to prohibit excessive drinking and other dangerous activities.
Over 1,700 people have been arrested as part of the campaign so far.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier