PHOENIX — Phoenix-Mesa Gateway pumped over $1.3 billion into Arizona’s economy in fiscal year 2013, a study said.
“Gateway Airport has grown from being an East Valley economic engine to an asset for the entire state of Arizona,” City of Mesa Mayor and Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport Authority Director Scott Smith said in a press release.
Smith noted that visitor spending of those who fly through Mesa-Gateway is up 433 percent. The study said that 60 percent of the airport’s 1.4 million passengers were visitors — double that of 2010 — and they spent about $767 million in 2013. Additional spending pushed the airport to a grand total of $1,311,232,000.
The airport employs 2,042 people, but the additional revenue the airport generates supports more than 10,000 jobs in Arizona.
“Our area was greatly impacted by the Great Recession, and yet we saw an increase of 79 percent in economic activity surrounding the airport and a 150 percent increase in employment numbers for businesses in that area,” Queen Creek Mayor and Airport Authority Vice Chairman Gail Barney said in a press release. “That’s impressive.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.