PHOENIX — Phoenix-Mesa Gateway pumped over $1.3 billion into Arizona’s economy in fiscal year 2013, a study said.
“Gateway Airport has grown from being an East Valley economic engine to an asset for the entire state of Arizona,” City of Mesa Mayor and Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport Authority Director Scott Smith said in a press release.
Smith noted that visitor spending of those who fly through Mesa-Gateway is up 433 percent. The study said that 60 percent of the airport’s 1.4 million passengers were visitors — double that of 2010 — and they spent about $767 million in 2013. Additional spending pushed the airport to a grand total of $1,311,232,000.
The airport employs 2,042 people, but the additional revenue the airport generates supports more than 10,000 jobs in Arizona.
“Our area was greatly impacted by the Great Recession, and yet we saw an increase of 79 percent in economic activity surrounding the airport and a 150 percent increase in employment numbers for businesses in that area,” Queen Creek Mayor and Airport Authority Vice Chairman Gail Barney said in a press release. “That’s impressive.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon