PHOENIX — The jury in the case of Richard Chrisman, a former Phoenix police officer accused of killing an unarmed man and his dog, has reached a decision.
The verdict will be read Tuesday at 10 a.m.
The jury deliberated for four days before arriving at a verdict. It is deciding the fate of Chrisman, who faces second-degree murder, aggravated assault and animal cruelty charges.
A court official said Monday that the jury had a verdict on one charge. It was hung on two others.
Chrisman is accused in the fatal October 2010 shootings of 29-year-old Danny Rodriguez and his dog. He said he acted in self-defense.
Chrisman’s partner testified he saw no threat justifying the use of deadly force.
Defense lawyer Craig Mehrens told jurors the partner had fled the trailer home in fear and wasn’t able to see what prompted Chrisman to fire.
Prosecutor Juan Martinez contended the partner did the right thing after witnessing police wrongdoing.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development