PHOENIX — The jury in the case of Richard Chrisman, a former Phoenix police officer accused of killing an unarmed man and his dog, has reached a decision.
The verdict will be read Tuesday at 10 a.m.
The jury deliberated for four days before arriving at a verdict. It is deciding the fate of Chrisman, who faces second-degree murder, aggravated assault and animal cruelty charges.
A court official said Monday that the jury had a verdict on one charge. It was hung on two others.
Chrisman is accused in the fatal October 2010 shootings of 29-year-old Danny Rodriguez and his dog. He said he acted in self-defense.
Chrisman’s partner testified he saw no threat justifying the use of deadly force.
Defense lawyer Craig Mehrens told jurors the partner had fled the trailer home in fear and wasn’t able to see what prompted Chrisman to fire.
Prosecutor Juan Martinez contended the partner did the right thing after witnessing police wrongdoing.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees