PHOENIX — The president of Fry’s Food & Drug Stores has died.
Jon Flora was 58 when he suffered a massive heart attack at Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport on Friday, a friend of the family told KTAR. He was going to Maine to vacation with his family.
According to Business Week, Flora was named president of Fry’s in 2007. He previously served as the senior vice president of Kroger, the parent company of Fry’s.
Flora joined Kroger in 1971 as a clerk and bottle boy at Dillon’s Stores.
During his career, he held a number of leadership positions with the company,
including vice president of merchandising.
Earlier this year, Flora was honored by the Boys & Girls Clubs of Metro Phoenix
as a “true champion for children in need.”
Dave Dillon, Kroger chairman and CEO, said Saturday that the company was deeply
saddened by Flora’s sudden death because he mentored many employees and was an
“Jon leaves a legacy of enthusiasm and passion for doing what’s right for our
customers, our neighbors and our associates,” Dillon said. “He touched the
lives of countless people in our company as well as throughout our industry and
The Tolleson-based Fry’s employs 18,000 in Arizona.
Funeral arrangements are pending.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain