PHOENIX — The president of Fry’s Food & Drug Stores has died.
Jon Flora was 58 when he suffered a massive heart attack at Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport on Friday, a friend of the family told KTAR. He was going to Maine to vacation with his family.
According to Business Week, Flora was named president of Fry’s in 2007. He previously served as the senior vice president of Kroger, the parent company of Fry’s.
Flora joined Kroger in 1971 as a clerk and bottle boy at Dillon’s Stores.
During his career, he held a number of leadership positions with the company,
including vice president of merchandising.
Earlier this year, Flora was honored by the Boys & Girls Clubs of Metro Phoenix
as a “true champion for children in need.”
Dave Dillon, Kroger chairman and CEO, said Saturday that the company was deeply
saddened by Flora’s sudden death because he mentored many employees and was an
“Jon leaves a legacy of enthusiasm and passion for doing what’s right for our
customers, our neighbors and our associates,” Dillon said. “He touched the
lives of countless people in our company as well as throughout our industry and
The Tolleson-based Fry’s employs 18,000 in Arizona.
Funeral arrangements are pending.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food