Gluten-free food may be healthier for many people but it’s also more expensive.
The Foothills Food Bank in Cave Creek is helping out with a gluten-free food drive to kick off National Celiac Awareness Day, Sept. 13.
Locally-owned Madison’s Original Hot Sauce is also lending a hand.
The drive will run through Sept. 30.
“Where hunger is an issue … gluten-free items items tend to be more costly and as more and more people are being diagnosed with Celiac disease, we wanted to pay attention to those (affected) families that are trying to live on budget,” said Allie Marconi, a spokeswoman for the event.
The food bank will distribute the donated foods. Items can include rice-based products, canned vegetables, dried beans, gluten-free cereals and gluten-free condiments.
• Whole Foods, 7111 E. Mayo Blvd., Phoenix
• Gluten Free Country Store, 3345 S. Val Vista Drive No. 101, Gilbert
• Gluten Free Creations, 10880 N. 32nd St., Phoenix
• Gluten Free Creations, 2924 N. 30th St., Phoenix
• Gluten Free Creations, 7607 E. McDowell Road, Scottsdale
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes