Gluten-free food may be healthier for many people but it’s also more expensive.
The Foothills Food Bank in Cave Creek is helping out with a gluten-free food drive to kick off National Celiac Awareness Day, Sept. 13.
Locally-owned Madison’s Original Hot Sauce is also lending a hand.
The drive will run through Sept. 30.
“Where hunger is an issue … gluten-free items items tend to be more costly and as more and more people are being diagnosed with Celiac disease, we wanted to pay attention to those (affected) families that are trying to live on budget,” said Allie Marconi, a spokeswoman for the event.
The food bank will distribute the donated foods. Items can include rice-based products, canned vegetables, dried beans, gluten-free cereals and gluten-free condiments.
• Whole Foods, 7111 E. Mayo Blvd., Phoenix
• Gluten Free Country Store, 3345 S. Val Vista Drive No. 101, Gilbert
• Gluten Free Creations, 10880 N. 32nd St., Phoenix
• Gluten Free Creations, 2924 N. 30th St., Phoenix
• Gluten Free Creations, 7607 E. McDowell Road, Scottsdale
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon