Gluten-free food may be healthier for many people but it’s also more expensive.
The Foothills Food Bank in Cave Creek is helping out with a gluten-free food drive to kick off National Celiac Awareness Day, Sept. 13.
Locally-owned Madison’s Original Hot Sauce is also lending a hand.
The drive will run through Sept. 30.
“Where hunger is an issue … gluten-free items items tend to be more costly and as more and more people are being diagnosed with Celiac disease, we wanted to pay attention to those (affected) families that are trying to live on budget,” said Allie Marconi, a spokeswoman for the event.
The food bank will distribute the donated foods. Items can include rice-based products, canned vegetables, dried beans, gluten-free cereals and gluten-free condiments.
• Whole Foods, 7111 E. Mayo Blvd., Phoenix
• Gluten Free Country Store, 3345 S. Val Vista Drive No. 101, Gilbert
• Gluten Free Creations, 10880 N. 32nd St., Phoenix
• Gluten Free Creations, 2924 N. 30th St., Phoenix
• Gluten Free Creations, 7607 E. McDowell Road, Scottsdale
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier