PHOENIX — Wearing a hoodie and baseball cap, Arizona Rep. Mark Cardenas, D-Phoenix, looked nothing like the lawmaker he is when he woke up on Friday morning.
His jeans were muddy, and he’d slept about 30 minutes after spending the night in a downtown Phoenix parking lot.
“We had our sleeping bag and we had a mat. We used backpacks as pillows,” said Cardenas, who’s been sleeping outside since Tuesday night.
He’s on a mission to raise awareness about the MANA House in Phoenix, which provides resources to homeless veterans. The women’s section is in jeopardy of shutting down if funding doesn’t come soon.
Cardenas, an Army veteran, learned about MANA’s struggles from an activist friend, who has been sleeping outside for a month to raise awareness about the shelter.
“I decided to jump into the fight as well, so I sent a letter to the governor, asking her to release emergency funds to keep it open,” Cardenas said.
In the meantime, Cardenas wants to raise over $56,000 to keep the facility running. If not, 16 homeless female veterans are in danger of ending up back on the streets.
“These are the people that went overseas for us, they fought for us, they sacrificed for us. The lease we can do is keep a facility that is needed and is valued,” he said.
He’s not alone.
Homeless man rode up on a bike, said what we were doing was cool and gave $5. Wow
— Mark Cardenas (@RepMarkCardenas) September 13, 2013
Donations can be directed to blisteringatthemargins.com.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development