PHOENIX — Wearing a hoodie and baseball cap, Arizona Rep. Mark Cardenas, D-Phoenix, looked nothing like the lawmaker he is when he woke up on Friday morning.
His jeans were muddy, and he’d slept about 30 minutes after spending the night in a downtown Phoenix parking lot.
“We had our sleeping bag and we had a mat. We used backpacks as pillows,” said Cardenas, who’s been sleeping outside since Tuesday night.
He’s on a mission to raise awareness about the MANA House in Phoenix, which provides resources to homeless veterans. The women’s section is in jeopardy of shutting down if funding doesn’t come soon.
Cardenas, an Army veteran, learned about MANA’s struggles from an activist friend, who has been sleeping outside for a month to raise awareness about the shelter.
“I decided to jump into the fight as well, so I sent a letter to the governor, asking her to release emergency funds to keep it open,” Cardenas said.
In the meantime, Cardenas wants to raise over $56,000 to keep the facility running. If not, 16 homeless female veterans are in danger of ending up back on the streets.
“These are the people that went overseas for us, they fought for us, they sacrificed for us. The lease we can do is keep a facility that is needed and is valued,” he said.
He’s not alone.
Homeless man rode up on a bike, said what we were doing was cool and gave $5. Wow
— Mark Cardenas (@RepMarkCardenas) September 13, 2013
Donations can be directed to blisteringatthemargins.com.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas