PHOENIX — Colorado is dealing with what is being called a “500-year flood” that has left death and destruction in the Rocky Mountains. Arizona State University climate expert Randy Cerveny said Arizona also has the potential for devastating floods.
The potential is there, with far less rain than the amounts that triggered the Colorado flooding.
The summer wildfires in the Rockies are partially to blame for the Colorado flooding. In Arizona, Cerveny said the area burned in the Yarnell Hill Fire remains a concern.
“If you get big storms over that area, there’s the possibility of mudflows and landslides, like they had in Colorado,” Cerveny explained. “Vegetation is the key to holding the soil in place. Burn off that vegetation and that soil moves a lot easier.”
Arizona’s most vulnerable location to potential flooding is Oak Creek Canyon, “because of the number of people up there and the very limited access away from Oak Creek as you’re going into the canyon,” Cerveny said.
Cerveny said Yuma has had storms that brought 5-6 inches of rainfall in a single event. Its typical yearly rainfall is about 3 inches.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.