PHOENIX — Colorado is dealing with what is being called a “500-year flood” that has left death and destruction in the Rocky Mountains. Arizona State University climate expert Randy Cerveny said Arizona also has the potential for devastating floods.
The potential is there, with far less rain than the amounts that triggered the Colorado flooding.
The summer wildfires in the Rockies are partially to blame for the Colorado flooding. In Arizona, Cerveny said the area burned in the Yarnell Hill Fire remains a concern.
“If you get big storms over that area, there’s the possibility of mudflows and landslides, like they had in Colorado,” Cerveny explained. “Vegetation is the key to holding the soil in place. Burn off that vegetation and that soil moves a lot easier.”
Arizona’s most vulnerable location to potential flooding is Oak Creek Canyon, “because of the number of people up there and the very limited access away from Oak Creek as you’re going into the canyon,” Cerveny said.
Cerveny said Yuma has had storms that brought 5-6 inches of rainfall in a single event. Its typical yearly rainfall is about 3 inches.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development