PEORIA, Ariz. — Former Tempe Mayor Hugh Hallman and Cindy McCain said the issue of sex trafficking is far more serious than most people believe and must be addressed by stronger prison sentences against those who prey on the victims.
For Hallman, a candidate for governor, the issue is deeply personal. His niece was kidnapped and forced into the sex trade at 15, drugged and forced into prostitution after being shipped to Florida. She died before her 19th birthday.
“It is the appetites of Americans that must be addressed,” he said. “Those appetites are drawing illegal drugs and the sex trade to the United States.”
Many of the victims in the sex trade business are brought into Arizona from Mexico.
Cindy McCain, who co-chairs a task force appointed by Gov. Jan Brewer, said lengthier sentences are needed to put away the people who prey on young victims.
“These girls are not prostitutes, they’re victims,” she said. “They have been trafficked. We need to look at this in a new way. This is a human rights issue.”
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths