PEORIA, Ariz. — Former Tempe Mayor Hugh Hallman and Cindy McCain said the issue of sex trafficking is far more serious than most people believe and must be addressed by stronger prison sentences against those who prey on the victims.
For Hallman, a candidate for governor, the issue is deeply personal. His niece was kidnapped and forced into the sex trade at 15, drugged and forced into prostitution after being shipped to Florida. She died before her 19th birthday.
“It is the appetites of Americans that must be addressed,” he said. “Those appetites are drawing illegal drugs and the sex trade to the United States.”
Many of the victims in the sex trade business are brought into Arizona from Mexico.
Cindy McCain, who co-chairs a task force appointed by Gov. Jan Brewer, said lengthier sentences are needed to put away the people who prey on young victims.
“These girls are not prostitutes, they’re victims,” she said. “They have been trafficked. We need to look at this in a new way. This is a human rights issue.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon