His promoter said he would have been the next Oscar de la Hoya, but 17-year-old Alexis Urbina will never fulfill his dream to be an Olympian or boxing champion.
Urbina was discovered severely beaten by his mother at their south Phoenix home last week. He later died at a Valley hospital. Police found some items missing, but there were no signs of forced entry, and at this time, the investigation is at a standstill.
“I trained him. We were always together. He was like the son I always wanted,” said Andy Soto, Urbina’s brother-in-law. “While my life is in shambles, I see other people going about their day and I tell myself that I’m going to have to learn to carry on, but I don’t want to… I don’t want to ever forget him.”
On Friday, there will be a public viewing from 5 to 8 p.m. at La Paz Funeral Home — located at 1551 W. Van Buren Street in Phoenix. A memorial service will be held on Saturday at the Knockout Boxing Club starting at 9 a.m. The club is the gym where Urbina spent countless hours training. It’s located at 602 S. 16th Street. Visitors are encouraged to wear white to all services.
A memorial fund has been established to help the family with funeral costs.
“His dad hasn’t worked since the murder. He can’t,” said Soto. “This is a family who lives paycheck to paycheck.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.