His promoter said he would have been the next Oscar de la Hoya, but 17-year-old Alexis Urbina will never fulfill his dream to be an Olympian or boxing champion.
Urbina was discovered severely beaten by his mother at their south Phoenix home last week. He later died at a Valley hospital. Police found some items missing, but there were no signs of forced entry, and at this time, the investigation is at a standstill.
“I trained him. We were always together. He was like the son I always wanted,” said Andy Soto, Urbina’s brother-in-law. “While my life is in shambles, I see other people going about their day and I tell myself that I’m going to have to learn to carry on, but I don’t want to… I don’t want to ever forget him.”
On Friday, there will be a public viewing from 5 to 8 p.m. at La Paz Funeral Home — located at 1551 W. Van Buren Street in Phoenix. A memorial service will be held on Saturday at the Knockout Boxing Club starting at 9 a.m. The club is the gym where Urbina spent countless hours training. It’s located at 602 S. 16th Street. Visitors are encouraged to wear white to all services.
A memorial fund has been established to help the family with funeral costs.
“His dad hasn’t worked since the murder. He can’t,” said Soto. “This is a family who lives paycheck to paycheck.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon