PEORIA, Ariz. — Former president of Mexico Vicente Fox, visiting the West Valley, said that legalizing marijuana in the United State could go long way toward crippling the drug cartels in his country.
Fox was visiting Thursday to talk about improving economic ties with Arizona and the need for comprehensive immigration reform. During a news conference in Peoria, Fox also addressed Mexico’s violent drug war, which he said has killed 80,000 people.
Fox said legalizing pot in the U.S. would deprive the cartels of billions of dollars in annual drug profits.
“Wouldn’t it much better to see that $50 (billion) or $100 billion in the hands of government and the business community?” he said. Fox has been in favor or legalizing marijuana in his country for several years.
Fox described the United States as a “prohibitionist nation” and said a shift is needed from regulation to a focus on education and prevention when it comes to marijuana.
“Kids will not go crazy because it’s legal. They have the same access today by it being illegal. And it would be much better. Alcohol and cigarettes are much worse than marijuana. Alcohol and cigarettes killed many more people.”
Fox pointed out that it is not a crime to consume drugs in Mexico, but it’s jail time for those who produce and distribute drugs.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy