PEORIA, Ariz. — Former president of Mexico Vicente Fox, visiting the West Valley, said that legalizing marijuana in the United State could go long way toward crippling the drug cartels in his country.
Fox was visiting Thursday to talk about improving economic ties with Arizona and the need for comprehensive immigration reform. During a news conference in Peoria, Fox also addressed Mexico’s violent drug war, which he said has killed 80,000 people.
Fox said legalizing pot in the U.S. would deprive the cartels of billions of dollars in annual drug profits.
“Wouldn’t it much better to see that $50 (billion) or $100 billion in the hands of government and the business community?” he said. Fox has been in favor or legalizing marijuana in his country for several years.
Fox described the United States as a “prohibitionist nation” and said a shift is needed from regulation to a focus on education and prevention when it comes to marijuana.
“Kids will not go crazy because it’s legal. They have the same access today by it being illegal. And it would be much better. Alcohol and cigarettes are much worse than marijuana. Alcohol and cigarettes killed many more people.”
Fox pointed out that it is not a crime to consume drugs in Mexico, but it’s jail time for those who produce and distribute drugs.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night