PEORIA, Ariz. — Former president of Mexico Vicente Fox, visiting the West Valley, said that legalizing marijuana in the United State could go long way toward crippling the drug cartels in his country.
Fox was visiting Thursday to talk about improving economic ties with Arizona and the need for comprehensive immigration reform. During a news conference in Peoria, Fox also addressed Mexico’s violent drug war, which he said has killed 80,000 people.
Fox said legalizing pot in the U.S. would deprive the cartels of billions of dollars in annual drug profits.
“Wouldn’t it much better to see that $50 (billion) or $100 billion in the hands of government and the business community?” he said. Fox has been in favor or legalizing marijuana in his country for several years.
Fox described the United States as a “prohibitionist nation” and said a shift is needed from regulation to a focus on education and prevention when it comes to marijuana.
“Kids will not go crazy because it’s legal. They have the same access today by it being illegal. And it would be much better. Alcohol and cigarettes are much worse than marijuana. Alcohol and cigarettes killed many more people.”
Fox pointed out that it is not a crime to consume drugs in Mexico, but it’s jail time for those who produce and distribute drugs.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier