PHOENIX — St. Vincent de Paul is on a mission to help the needy understand the value of making healthy food options.
The organization is hosting Healthy Family Week in celebration of Hunger Action Month. In addition to preparing dishes like baked tilapia and soy stir-fry, the kitchen will also make gluten and sugar-free cookies for dessert.
“It’s a slow process,” said nutritionist Yolanda Konopken. “We don’t want to overwhelm them, because they’ll walk away. It’s a slow test.”
The idea is to introduce the healthier menu items and offer education on eating healthy on a strict budget. Over time, the organization would like to permanently change the foods they serve the needy altogether.
“We’ve been gradually making our meals more nutritious over the last year, but this week is our big effort to show families that healthy meals can taste good and be good for you,” kitchen manager Jay Baker said in a press release. “Lifelong habits can take a lot of work to change and maintain, so it’s our hope that these small steps can help encourage that process for our families.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development