PHOENIX — St. Vincent de Paul is on a mission to help the needy understand the value of making healthy food options.
The organization is hosting Healthy Family Week in celebration of Hunger Action Month. In addition to preparing dishes like baked tilapia and soy stir-fry, the kitchen will also make gluten and sugar-free cookies for dessert.
“It’s a slow process,” said nutritionist Yolanda Konopken. “We don’t want to overwhelm them, because they’ll walk away. It’s a slow test.”
The idea is to introduce the healthier menu items and offer education on eating healthy on a strict budget. Over time, the organization would like to permanently change the foods they serve the needy altogether.
“We’ve been gradually making our meals more nutritious over the last year, but this week is our big effort to show families that healthy meals can taste good and be good for you,” kitchen manager Jay Baker said in a press release. “Lifelong habits can take a lot of work to change and maintain, so it’s our hope that these small steps can help encourage that process for our families.”
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments