PHOENIX — Beware, Valley drivers: Pushy speaker con-men are on the rise.
A Valley woman, who wished to remain anonymous, told police that two men in a white Chevrolet Avalanche accosted her outside of a restaurant near Lake Pleasant and Happy Valley roads.
She said the men followed her into a shopping area and intimidated her into buying speakers. Since she did not have cash, wrote them a check, which they promptly cashed.
The “speakers-for-sale” scam has been around for a very long time.
“In my 27 years of policework, we’ve seen many times these con-men in parking lots, approaching customers, trying to sell speakers. Sometimes they can be aggressive,” said Phoenix Police Sgt. Darren Burch.
The crimes don’t take place in low affluence areas.
“Conmen love to target affluent areas of town, where you wouldn’t expect there to be a criminal element,” said Burch.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier