PHOENIX — Beware, Valley drivers: Pushy speaker con-men are on the rise.
A Valley woman, who wished to remain anonymous, told police that two men in a white Chevrolet Avalanche accosted her outside of a restaurant near Lake Pleasant and Happy Valley roads.
She said the men followed her into a shopping area and intimidated her into buying speakers. Since she did not have cash, wrote them a check, which they promptly cashed.
The “speakers-for-sale” scam has been around for a very long time.
“In my 27 years of policework, we’ve seen many times these con-men in parking lots, approaching customers, trying to sell speakers. Sometimes they can be aggressive,” said Phoenix Police Sgt. Darren Burch.
The crimes don’t take place in low affluence areas.
“Conmen love to target affluent areas of town, where you wouldn’t expect there to be a criminal element,” said Burch.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon