PHOENIX — There are many families in northern Arizona who are living without plumbing and electricity and the Northern Arizona Food Bank is stepping up to keep them warm.
The food bank has given low-income families, seniors and disabled individuals free firewood for the past 12 years.
“We’re looking at 3.9 million pounds of split firewood,” said Kerry Ketchum with the food bank. “A lot of effort went into that.”
Firewood will be available beginning Oct. 1. Ketchum said keeping a good stock is a community effort.
“They bring in wood from thinning around people’s homes for fire prevention and the homeowner has the choice to keep the wood or donate it. We have a lot of very giving people in Flagstaff that donate a lot of wood.”
Ketchum also said hunters are helping out through the “Hunters for the Hungry” program where they donate meat from their hunt. It has provided almost 175,000 servings of deer and elk.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.