PHOENIX — There are many families in northern Arizona who are living without plumbing and electricity and the Northern Arizona Food Bank is stepping up to keep them warm.
The food bank has given low-income families, seniors and disabled individuals free firewood for the past 12 years.
“We’re looking at 3.9 million pounds of split firewood,” said Kerry Ketchum with the food bank. “A lot of effort went into that.”
Firewood will be available beginning Oct. 1. Ketchum said keeping a good stock is a community effort.
“They bring in wood from thinning around people’s homes for fire prevention and the homeowner has the choice to keep the wood or donate it. We have a lot of very giving people in Flagstaff that donate a lot of wood.”
Ketchum also said hunters are helping out through the “Hunters for the Hungry” program where they donate meat from their hunt. It has provided almost 175,000 servings of deer and elk.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy