PHOENIX — While wildfires become more dangerous and larger with each passing year, the nation’s fleet of heavy firefighting air tankers has dropped from 44 to only 11.
There doesn’t seem to be an easy answer to bringing the fleet up to full strength.
Rick Hatton with 10 Tanker in Southern California owns two former commercial DC-10 jetliners that are among the remaining heavy tankers that have been called to nearly every major fire in the west this summer, including the Doce Fire near Prescott and the deadly Yarnell Hill Fire that claimed the lives of 19 Granite Mountain Hotshots. He said there’s plenty of aircraft in mothball status that could be retrofitted like his aircraft but it isn’t cheap and there’s no guarantee the U.S. Forest Service will contract the aircraft. Hatton said when it comes to airtankers, bigger is better.
“They have jet speed. They can get from one base to the next quickly and can carry the equivalent of five or more airplanes in the form of one”
Hatton said it takes years to develop the tranformation of a commercial jetliner into firefighting airtanker and costs run in the tens of millions of dollars.
“The source of the bottleneck isn’t a shortage of planes available,” he said. “The problem is attracting private capitol and the risk of developing something and not getting it contracted is quite high and you’re then stuck with a machine that you’ve invested in that won’t give you any type of a payback. It’s difficult to get a contract before you have a product and, if I were running the Forest Service, I wouldn’t give a contract for something than I didn’t know either.”
Hatton said his DC-10s have been so successful that he’s adding a third to his fleet.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food