PHOENIX — Bagpipes, prayers and the releasing of white doves were all a part of a 9/11 remembrance ceremony at the grand opening of the Starshine Academy’s new campus in Phoenix on Wednesday morning.
Founder Trish McCarty said the events of 9/11 inspired her to start Starshine to change the opportunities for kids in at-risk neighborhoods. McCarty thinks if one person in the world doesn’t have a proper education, the entire world is at risk.
“Terrorism starts with someone being fearful,” she said. “Fear is bred by people who don’t understand how to get love or how to control their fear. To me, the best thing that we can do for anti-terrorism is to teach love, peace, community and service inside of schools.”
Phoenix Vice Mayor Bill Gates attended Wednesday’s ribbon cutting ceremony. He said having the grand opening on Sept. 11 is appropriate, because it should remind people that young kids who weren’t around on that day need to learn about what happened and why.
“I think it’s very important that we as parents take the time to explain to our kids what happened,” he said. “One of the most important things we have to explain, especially to little children, is that they are safe. We now live in a safer world because of the tragedy that occurred.”
The new campus is near 35th Street and McDowell Road. Among its features are a small farm with animals. It also has music and art programs, a field house with a basketball court and theater-ready stage and the latest in technology.
Some 500 students attend the holistic kindergarten through 12th grade school. It’s one of three schools in the Starshine district, which began in 2002.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food