PHOENIX — A Department of Corrections wildland vehicle was involved in an accident Wednesday, the Arizona Department of Public Safety said.
The vehicle was traveling on State Route 79 about seven miles south of Florence, Ariz. when it rolled over.
Doug Nick with the DOC said 10 inmates and two officials were in the specialized vehicle. All were part of a program that teaches inmates firefighting skills.
“This crew was on assignment in Oro Valley,” he said, adding that the crew spent the day cutting back brush.
Five ambulances were called to the scene, said Colin Williams with the Rural/Metro Fire Department.
Nick said both corrections officers were hospitalized as a precaution. One sustained minor injuries.
Nick said that one inmate was airlifted after sustaining non-life threatening back and arm injuries. Six more inmates were taken to local hospitals with “bumps and bruises.” Another inmate was hospitalized with a small head laceration and two more were sent back to prison.
Williams expected victims to be taken to both Phoenix and Tucson.
Two nurses affiliated with the DOC who happened to be in the area rendered aid within seconds of the crash.
The cause of the accident is unknown but DPS is searching for a newer, white Chevrolet Tahoe or Suburban driven by an older white male that was in the area. It is believed that vehicle headed south.
Nick said the vehicle did not roll, as originally reported.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America