PHOENIX — A Department of Corrections wildland vehicle was involved in an accident Wednesday, the Arizona Department of Public Safety said.
The vehicle was traveling on State Route 79 about seven miles south of Florence, Ariz. when it rolled over.
Doug Nick with the DOC said 10 inmates and two officials were in the specialized vehicle. All were part of a program that teaches inmates firefighting skills.
“This crew was on assignment in Oro Valley,” he said, adding that the crew spent the day cutting back brush.
Five ambulances were called to the scene, said Colin Williams with the Rural/Metro Fire Department.
Nick said both corrections officers were hospitalized as a precaution. One sustained minor injuries.
Nick said that one inmate was airlifted after sustaining non-life threatening back and arm injuries. Six more inmates were taken to local hospitals with “bumps and bruises.” Another inmate was hospitalized with a small head laceration and two more were sent back to prison.
Williams expected victims to be taken to both Phoenix and Tucson.
Two nurses affiliated with the DOC who happened to be in the area rendered aid within seconds of the crash.
The cause of the accident is unknown but DPS is searching for a newer, white Chevrolet Tahoe or Suburban driven by an older white male that was in the area. It is believed that vehicle headed south.
Nick said the vehicle did not roll, as originally reported.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development