PHOENIX — Honor guards and bagpipes were part of a touching Sept. 11 remembrance service Wednesday at Phoenix City Hall.
The crowd of hundreds included former New York City firefighter John Buneta, who now lives in the Valley.
“This was a very hard day,” Buneta said. “It was a very touching tribute to have the flag presented here today. This was done so tastefully, it couldn’t have gone any better.”
The flag he’s referring to flew above the rescue-and-recovery operations at the World Trade Center in New York. That flag was presented to him 12 years ago while he was a member of the New York City Mayor’s Office of Emergency Management, and Wednesday was the first time it has left his home. The gathering was the first such tribute Buneta has attended.
“It was very moving for me,” Buneta said. “Thought I would handle it differently. It was very emotional and a hard thing to go through.”
Buneta said he didn’t take the flag out for other memorials prior to Wednesday’s because he didn’t want to be part of services.
“It was always very hard for me to go to a memorial. I chose to spend my days on Sept. 11 pretty much quiet and alone and just having time to reflect on all the friends I lost that day.”
Buneta lost 18 friends on Sept. 11.
The former firefighter said he doesn’t like to talk about Sept. 11, even with others who lost friends or loved ones in the towers.
Buneta said he considered framing the flag, but after this ceremony, he will place it in a case and bring it to every subsequent Sept. 11 memorial service in the city.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident
- Cindy McCain talks Syrians refugees’ plight, trafficking in Arizona