PHOENIX — Honor guards and bagpipes were part of a touching Sept. 11 remembrance service Wednesday at Phoenix City Hall.
The crowd of hundreds included former New York City firefighter John Buneta, who now lives in the Valley.
“This was a very hard day,” Buneta said. “It was a very touching tribute to have the flag presented here today. This was done so tastefully, it couldn’t have gone any better.”
The flag he’s referring to flew above the rescue-and-recovery operations at the World Trade Center in New York. That flag was presented to him 12 years ago while he was a member of the New York City Mayor’s Office of Emergency Management, and Wednesday was the first time it has left his home. The gathering was the first such tribute Buneta has attended.
“It was very moving for me,” Buneta said. “Thought I would handle it differently. It was very emotional and a hard thing to go through.”
Buneta said he didn’t take the flag out for other memorials prior to Wednesday’s because he didn’t want to be part of services.
“It was always very hard for me to go to a memorial. I chose to spend my days on Sept. 11 pretty much quiet and alone and just having time to reflect on all the friends I lost that day.”
Buneta lost 18 friends on Sept. 11.
The former firefighter said he doesn’t like to talk about Sept. 11, even with others who lost friends or loved ones in the towers.
Buneta said he considered framing the flag, but after this ceremony, he will place it in a case and bring it to every subsequent Sept. 11 memorial service in the city.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident