PHOENIX — Scottsdale bars and clubs will now be subject to stricter security requirements in the wake of the January murder of a bar’s bouncer.
The Scottsdale City Council on Tuesday approved the Public Safety Plan Ordinance by a 5-2 vote, requiring bars and clubs to increase security or be subject to fines.
“We want to make sure this is a great entertainment and tourist city,” Mayor Jim Lane said during the meeting. “Everything about this (the ordinance) goes toward how we service a very important industry to us.”
The ordinance — a direct result of the January stabbing death of Martini Ranch bouncer Tyrice Thompson, who was trying to break up a fight outside the bar — will apply to business with a capacity of more than 50 that check IDs at the door or meet any of several other city-specified standards.
Businesses will be required to staff one security guard for every 50 patrons, and if an incident involving a weapon happens on its property, a business will be required to hire at least two off-duty police officers for three months.
Each club’s security personnel will complete city-provided training, and each business will be required to submit a safety plan to police.
But while the ordinance passed, it wasn’t without resistance.
“It affects too many business-owners who didn’t do anything wrong in the first place,” Councilman Guy Phillips said. “It feels like we’re chasing a paper tiger.”
The city estimated that between 100 and 200 businesses will be affected by the ordinance, which mandates increasing fines for each violation.
“We cannot turn Scottsdale into some kind of police state to sacrifice a fun and celebratory and tourist environment,” Lane said. “We’re not there … I just want to be sure we never get to an unsafe environment.
“I think this is a great starting point.”
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again