PHOENIX — A Phoenix man sustained severe injuries Tuesday after being crushed by a large boulder, the Coconino County Sheriff’s Office said in a press release.
Authorities were alerted about 7:20 a.m. that a 27-year-old victim had been crushed by the boulder while attempting to clear a different boulder off the Mount Elden Lookout Road.
When deputies arrived on the scene, they found the victim in the middle of the road. Four men he was traveling with had pulled him out from under the boulder and it appeared that his legs and pelvic area had been crushed.
The victim was taken to the Flagstaff Medical Center.
Investigators later learned the men were driving up the mountain to perform maintenance on a radio tower.
As a result of the accident, Elden Lookout Road is temporarily closed.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes