PHOENIX — A Phoenix man sustained severe injuries Tuesday after being crushed by a large boulder, the Coconino County Sheriff’s Office said in a press release.
Authorities were alerted about 7:20 a.m. that a 27-year-old victim had been crushed by the boulder while attempting to clear a different boulder off the Mount Elden Lookout Road.
When deputies arrived on the scene, they found the victim in the middle of the road. Four men he was traveling with had pulled him out from under the boulder and it appeared that his legs and pelvic area had been crushed.
The victim was taken to the Flagstaff Medical Center.
Investigators later learned the men were driving up the mountain to perform maintenance on a radio tower.
As a result of the accident, Elden Lookout Road is temporarily closed.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments