TEMPE, Ariz. — The classic hot dog joint Portillo’s took up some new territory in the Valley Tuesday, as the restaurant opened its newest location at Tempe Marketplace.
Dozens lined up outside before the doors opened at 10 a.m.
“We have a cult-like following with some of them, and some people were here all-night,” said owner Dick Portillo.
Super fan Peter Robinson was wearing an “I love Portillo’s shirt” when he flew in from Chicago overnight. It’s a tradition for Robinson, who’s eaten at every one of the 38 Portillo’s locations in the country.
“Last night, I ate at Scottsdale and I had a cheeseburger and fries. Today, I’ll have a hot dog, and tonight on my way home I’ll stop at the Summit store (in Chicago) and have Italian beef,” said Robinson.
It wasn’t the first time Robinson made an overnight flight for a hot dog. The Chicago native was in Scottsdale in February, when Portillo’s opened its first location in the Valley.
“I think in the long run, I believe that this one will do better 12 months out of the year than Scottsdale,” said Portillo.
So far, the Scottsdale location is in the top-third for sales, according to Portillo.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas