TEMPE, Ariz. — The classic hot dog joint Portillo’s took up some new territory in the Valley Tuesday, as the restaurant opened its newest location at Tempe Marketplace.
Dozens lined up outside before the doors opened at 10 a.m.
“We have a cult-like following with some of them, and some people were here all-night,” said owner Dick Portillo.
Super fan Peter Robinson was wearing an “I love Portillo’s shirt” when he flew in from Chicago overnight. It’s a tradition for Robinson, who’s eaten at every one of the 38 Portillo’s locations in the country.
“Last night, I ate at Scottsdale and I had a cheeseburger and fries. Today, I’ll have a hot dog, and tonight on my way home I’ll stop at the Summit store (in Chicago) and have Italian beef,” said Robinson.
It wasn’t the first time Robinson made an overnight flight for a hot dog. The Chicago native was in Scottsdale in February, when Portillo’s opened its first location in the Valley.
“I think in the long run, I believe that this one will do better 12 months out of the year than Scottsdale,” said Portillo.
So far, the Scottsdale location is in the top-third for sales, according to Portillo.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon