TEMPE, Ariz. — As the nation prepares to honor the victims of the September 11th attacks, hundreds of volunteers gathered in Tempe on Tuesday to set up the 9/11 Memorial Healing Field.
At Tempe Beach Park, nearly 3,000 American flags wave in the wind as part of the nation’s longest consecutive-running Healing Field, commemorating the lives lost in the attacks.
“One flag is for each one we lost at the Pentagon, on the flight crew, and the trade centers,” said Doug Royse, co-chairman of the Healing Field.
A note is attached to each flagpole with the name of a victim. Some have teddy bears lying beside them to honor the children who lost their lives.
The memorial will be open to the public until Sunday.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food