PHOENIX — Scottsdale Police detectives have arrested a man suspected in the brutal sexual assault of a woman in her Scottsdale apartment just a few days after the alleged attack.
Daryl Donovan Cole Jr., 23, was arrested Monday night in Tempe.
“When the suspect was arrested, we were able to get a buckle swab from him that gave us a known sample that we were able to match up to the crime scene and the victim,” said Scottsdale Police Sgt. Mark Clark.
“Through having our own crime lab, we were able to leverage our resources to work around the clock since this case started and get this predator off the streets before he could victimize anyone else,” he said.
Cole had submitted DNA during a previous arrest for aggravated robbery. Crime lab technicians were able to match the DNA and forensic evidence to the information provided on CODIS, a DNA database.
Police say a young woman had returned home early Saturday night and the suspect followed her inside. She screamed for help and fought the alleged intruder, but he overpowered her and repeatedly assaulted her.
Currently, Cole is behind bars facing multiple charges including sexual assault and kidnapping.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon