PHOENIX — A West Valley Mexican-food restaurant is offering free food and proof of its safety after an E. coli outbreak sickened dozens of patrons.
The owners of Federico’s in Litchfield Park said Tuesday that the chain would serve free meals Sept. 16 and two weeks later 20 percent of the day’s gross will go to the National Kidney Foundation.
Maricopa County’s health department had notified the restaurant at Dysart and Camelback roads that customers had become ill there likely from E. coli in July.
“The county has informed us that there are about 70 people who became ill that are linked to have eaten here,” said Federico’s Attorney, Bill Mulligan. “We do not know anything at this time.
“They’re still investigating and trying to figure it out. It’s very perplexing.”
Three lawsuits have been filed.
The restaurant has passed subsequent inspections and earned the OK to reopen Aug. 5.
Federico’s has been working with Linda Cobb, who is known as the “Queen Of Clean,” to enhance its cleaning protocol. She has given the chain her “seal of approval,” and is encouraging people to go ahead and eat there.
The infection causes vomiting, cramps and kidney failure in some cases.
Sales from Sept. 30 will be donated to the state chapter of the National Kidney Foundation.
Associated Press contributed to this article.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon