PHOENIX — A West Valley Mexican-food restaurant is offering free food and proof of its safety after an E. coli outbreak sickened dozens of patrons.
The owners of Federico’s in Litchfield Park said Tuesday that the chain would serve free meals Sept. 16 and two weeks later 20 percent of the day’s gross will go to the National Kidney Foundation.
Maricopa County’s health department had notified the restaurant at Dysart and Camelback roads that customers had become ill there likely from E. coli in July.
“The county has informed us that there are about 70 people who became ill that are linked to have eaten here,” said Federico’s Attorney, Bill Mulligan. “We do not know anything at this time.
“They’re still investigating and trying to figure it out. It’s very perplexing.”
Three lawsuits have been filed.
The restaurant has passed subsequent inspections and earned the OK to reopen Aug. 5.
Federico’s has been working with Linda Cobb, who is known as the “Queen Of Clean,” to enhance its cleaning protocol. She has given the chain her “seal of approval,” and is encouraging people to go ahead and eat there.
The infection causes vomiting, cramps and kidney failure in some cases.
Sales from Sept. 30 will be donated to the state chapter of the National Kidney Foundation.
Associated Press contributed to this article.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier