PHOENIX — It’s estimated the Valley has nearly 200,000 roaming and feral cats.
“Those are the cats that some people are feeding, they’re not necessarily owned by anyone,” said Bretta Nelson with the Arizona Humane Society.
“These pets are often unsocialized. If they go into shelters they tend to be very scared, some are very aggressive and it makes them very hard candidates for adoption.”
Last year, Nelson said some 30,000 cats entered shelters and more than 17,000 were euthanized.
“These are little animals, little living beings and it’s so important to let them live out their lives,” she said.
The Arizona Humane Society has teamed up with the Animal Defense League of Arizona to offer the Spay/Neuter Pilot Program. People living in nine targeted zip codes can pick up free traps, set them out, take trapped cats to vets and have them spayed and neutered and no cost.
So far, Nelson said they have sterilized nearly 6,000 cats.
“It halts, obviously, the breeding cycle, the bothersome behaviors: the spaying, the fighting, the yowling, those things decrease immediately.”
The targeted zip codes include 85015, 85017, 85019, 85020, 85029, 85051, 85301 and 85302. Help is also available for neighborhoods outside those zip codes.
For more information, click here.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them