PHOENIX — It’s estimated the Valley has nearly 200,000 roaming and feral cats.
“Those are the cats that some people are feeding, they’re not necessarily owned by anyone,” said Bretta Nelson with the Arizona Humane Society.
“These pets are often unsocialized. If they go into shelters they tend to be very scared, some are very aggressive and it makes them very hard candidates for adoption.”
Last year, Nelson said some 30,000 cats entered shelters and more than 17,000 were euthanized.
“These are little animals, little living beings and it’s so important to let them live out their lives,” she said.
The Arizona Humane Society has teamed up with the Animal Defense League of Arizona to offer the Spay/Neuter Pilot Program. People living in nine targeted zip codes can pick up free traps, set them out, take trapped cats to vets and have them spayed and neutered and no cost.
So far, Nelson said they have sterilized nearly 6,000 cats.
“It halts, obviously, the breeding cycle, the bothersome behaviors: the spaying, the fighting, the yowling, those things decrease immediately.”
The targeted zip codes include 85015, 85017, 85019, 85020, 85029, 85051, 85301 and 85302. Help is also available for neighborhoods outside those zip codes.
For more information, click here.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night