State Rep. Mark Cardenas plans to spend three nights in an overflow parking lot next to a Phoenix shelter to raise money and awareness to keep the women’s section of the MANA House open.
The section houses 16 women veterans who get specialized treatment to become successful.
“If this facility doesn’t stay open where women veterans who are suffering from PTSD, sexual assault and other trauma that they’re able to identify and treat at this center, they’ll be back on the street,” said Cardenas.
The Phoenix Democrat who represents District 19 served alongside women in the Army and said one had a major influence on his life.
“My mentor who trained me from being a 19-year-old person who was just out of high school and knew nothing about the world to helping me become a soldier, helping me to become an adult, where she was one of the greatest mentors I ever had,” said Cardenas.
The MANA (Marines, Army, Navy, Air Force) House is a transitional facility where veterans can stay for up two years. The women’s section opened last March and Cardenas said it needs $50,000 to stay open through September.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night