State Rep. Mark Cardenas plans to spend three nights in an overflow parking lot next to a Phoenix shelter to raise money and awareness to keep the women’s section of the MANA House open.
The section houses 16 women veterans who get specialized treatment to become successful.
“If this facility doesn’t stay open where women veterans who are suffering from PTSD, sexual assault and other trauma that they’re able to identify and treat at this center, they’ll be back on the street,” said Cardenas.
The Phoenix Democrat who represents District 19 served alongside women in the Army and said one had a major influence on his life.
“My mentor who trained me from being a 19-year-old person who was just out of high school and knew nothing about the world to helping me become a soldier, helping me to become an adult, where she was one of the greatest mentors I ever had,” said Cardenas.
The MANA (Marines, Army, Navy, Air Force) House is a transitional facility where veterans can stay for up two years. The women’s section opened last March and Cardenas said it needs $50,000 to stay open through September.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths