PHOENIX — The wet weather Monday wreaked havoc with Valley traffic in the morning and into the afternoon and a flash flood advisory has been issued for Maricopa and Pinal counties.
A half-inch of rainfall has been recorded at Sky Harbor Airport on the day.
Several accidents, including two water rescues, and road closures have been reported, and about 1,000 Salt River Project customers in the West Valley are without power.
Phoenix police say that by 3 p.m. Monday, officers had handled 164 traffic
hazard calls with at least eight of those involving people stranded in their
cars. There were no reported injuries.
The Arizona Department of Transportation said part of a U.S. 60 underpass in Tempe was flooded and the flooding has closed exit ramps on Interstate 17 at Greenway Road.
A crash involving a truck at the southbound Loop 101 near Warner Road has closed the eastbound ramp to U.S. 60 at Loop 101 north.
Another accident on U.S. 60 west near Rural Road in Tempe was slowing traffic and one driver said McClintock Drive between Guadalupe and Baseline roads also in Tempe “is a small lake, not a road.”
Phoenix Fire spokesman Tony Mure said several people had to rescued from their cars trapped in high water near Bell Road and 27th Avenue.
Associated Press contributed to this article.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick