PHOENIX — The wet weather Monday wreaked havoc with Valley traffic in the morning and into the afternoon and a flash flood advisory has been issued for Maricopa and Pinal counties.
A half-inch of rainfall has been recorded at Sky Harbor Airport on the day.
Several accidents, including two water rescues, and road closures have been reported, and about 1,000 Salt River Project customers in the West Valley are without power.
Phoenix police say that by 3 p.m. Monday, officers had handled 164 traffic
hazard calls with at least eight of those involving people stranded in their
cars. There were no reported injuries.
The Arizona Department of Transportation said part of a U.S. 60 underpass in Tempe was flooded and the flooding has closed exit ramps on Interstate 17 at Greenway Road.
A crash involving a truck at the southbound Loop 101 near Warner Road has closed the eastbound ramp to U.S. 60 at Loop 101 north.
Another accident on U.S. 60 west near Rural Road in Tempe was slowing traffic and one driver said McClintock Drive between Guadalupe and Baseline roads also in Tempe “is a small lake, not a road.”
Phoenix Fire spokesman Tony Mure said several people had to rescued from their cars trapped in high water near Bell Road and 27th Avenue.
Associated Press contributed to this article.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas