PHOENIX — The wet weather Monday wreaked havoc with Valley traffic in the morning and into the afternoon and a flash flood advisory has been issued for Maricopa and Pinal counties.
A half-inch of rainfall has been recorded at Sky Harbor Airport on the day.
Several accidents, including two water rescues, and road closures have been reported, and about 1,000 Salt River Project customers in the West Valley are without power.
Phoenix police say that by 3 p.m. Monday, officers had handled 164 traffic
hazard calls with at least eight of those involving people stranded in their
cars. There were no reported injuries.
The Arizona Department of Transportation said part of a U.S. 60 underpass in Tempe was flooded and the flooding has closed exit ramps on Interstate 17 at Greenway Road.
A crash involving a truck at the southbound Loop 101 near Warner Road has closed the eastbound ramp to U.S. 60 at Loop 101 north.
Another accident on U.S. 60 west near Rural Road in Tempe was slowing traffic and one driver said McClintock Drive between Guadalupe and Baseline roads also in Tempe “is a small lake, not a road.”
Phoenix Fire spokesman Tony Mure said several people had to rescued from their cars trapped in high water near Bell Road and 27th Avenue.
Associated Press contributed to this article.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes