PHOENIX — Syria will take center stage this week when Congress returns to the nation’s capital after the summer break.
A reform bill passed the Senate and was expected to face an uphill battle in the House without the Syrian situation. Some believe that a few lawmakers will use Syria as an excuse to table immigration reform.
Garrick Taylor with the Arizona Chamber of Commerce and Industry said that’s no excuse.
“This is an example of Congress needing to walk and chew gum at the same time,” said Taylor, who is senior vice president of government relations and communications for the group.
“There are many important things happening around the world and here at home.”
Taylor said Arizona, perhaps more than any other state, has the most to gain or lose with the outcome of reform.
“Including better border security, and hopefully, visa reform, that will help Arizona employers at both the high-skilled and low-skilled levels.”
If reform doesn’t happen this fall, it may not happen at all for a while, Taylor said.
“We’re going to be in an election year in 2014. You’re going to have more candidate town halls and it’s going to be a tougher lift next year,”
Taylor said businesses need certainty now more than anything.
“What are the rules of the road on hiring? Verification of potential hires, and how they can bring workers into the economy when Congress is on the fence.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.