PHOENIX — Syria will take center stage this week when Congress returns to the nation’s capital after the summer break.
A reform bill passed the Senate and was expected to face an uphill battle in the House without the Syrian situation. Some believe that a few lawmakers will use Syria as an excuse to table immigration reform.
Garrick Taylor with the Arizona Chamber of Commerce and Industry said that’s no excuse.
“This is an example of Congress needing to walk and chew gum at the same time,” said Taylor, who is senior vice president of government relations and communications for the group.
“There are many important things happening around the world and here at home.”
Taylor said Arizona, perhaps more than any other state, has the most to gain or lose with the outcome of reform.
“Including better border security, and hopefully, visa reform, that will help Arizona employers at both the high-skilled and low-skilled levels.”
If reform doesn’t happen this fall, it may not happen at all for a while, Taylor said.
“We’re going to be in an election year in 2014. You’re going to have more candidate town halls and it’s going to be a tougher lift next year,”
Taylor said businesses need certainty now more than anything.
“What are the rules of the road on hiring? Verification of potential hires, and how they can bring workers into the economy when Congress is on the fence.”
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy