PHOENIX — St. Mary’s Food Bank will be getting quite the donation Monday.
Sprouts Farmers Market is teaming up with Feeding America and Sony Pictures to donate nearly 40,000 pounds of produce to the St. Mary’s Food Bank Alliance distribution center in Phoenix.
That includes 410 cases of mangos, 108 cases of Valencia oranges and 42 bins of seedless watermelon.
“It’s a lot of things folks can’t afford to buy because produce is pretty expensive,” said Jerry Brown with St. Mary’s Food Bank Alliance. “So it’s an extra special treat that we’re able to add to a lot of our emergency food boxes.”
Brown said now is the time of year when food banks see a decline in produce donations because growing season is pretty much over.
“September is a time when our food supplies go low, our donations are low, and especially our volunteers are low,” he said.
Eighth graders from All Saints’ Episcopal Day School will also be on site to help package the food.
The donation is in conjunction with the upcoming release of Sony’s Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2, opening September 27.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon