PHOENIX — Gay-rights supporters will gather in downtown Phoenix on Sunday to protest the recent passage of anti-gay laws around the world.
The rally is part of the International Day of Solidarity, taking place in over 20 cities in 18 different countries. It was organized by Phoenix-based human rights group H.E.R.O., the Human and Equal Rights Organizers.
“It really is imperative for the people of the world to speak up and use your voice to whatever capacity you have for justice, for passion and for human rights,” said Susan Hurley, a volunteer with H.E.R.O.
The worldwide protests were triggered by several new anti-gay laws in Russia, including one that bans any speech equating homosexuality and heterosexuality. Another law bans the adoption of Russian-born children by anyone from a country that recognizes gay marriage.
“All these things together add up to an incredible human rights concern,” said Hurley. “What we’re hoping to do is send a message of solidarity to people around the world.”
The Phoenix rally is slated to be held Sunday at Civic Space Park beginning at noon.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments