PHOENIX — Gay-rights supporters will gather in downtown Phoenix on Sunday to protest the recent passage of anti-gay laws around the world.
The rally is part of the International Day of Solidarity, taking place in over 20 cities in 18 different countries. It was organized by Phoenix-based human rights group H.E.R.O., the Human and Equal Rights Organizers.
“It really is imperative for the people of the world to speak up and use your voice to whatever capacity you have for justice, for passion and for human rights,” said Susan Hurley, a volunteer with H.E.R.O.
The worldwide protests were triggered by several new anti-gay laws in Russia, including one that bans any speech equating homosexuality and heterosexuality. Another law bans the adoption of Russian-born children by anyone from a country that recognizes gay marriage.
“All these things together add up to an incredible human rights concern,” said Hurley. “What we’re hoping to do is send a message of solidarity to people around the world.”
The Phoenix rally is slated to be held Sunday at Civic Space Park beginning at noon.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America