PHOENIX — Gay-rights supporters will gather in downtown Phoenix on Sunday to protest the recent passage of anti-gay laws around the world.
The rally is part of the International Day of Solidarity, taking place in over 20 cities in 18 different countries. It was organized by Phoenix-based human rights group H.E.R.O., the Human and Equal Rights Organizers.
“It really is imperative for the people of the world to speak up and use your voice to whatever capacity you have for justice, for passion and for human rights,” said Susan Hurley, a volunteer with H.E.R.O.
The worldwide protests were triggered by several new anti-gay laws in Russia, including one that bans any speech equating homosexuality and heterosexuality. Another law bans the adoption of Russian-born children by anyone from a country that recognizes gay marriage.
“All these things together add up to an incredible human rights concern,” said Hurley. “What we’re hoping to do is send a message of solidarity to people around the world.”
The Phoenix rally is slated to be held Sunday at Civic Space Park beginning at noon.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life