A man walking through a central Phoenix neighborhood Saturday while firing gun shots was shot and killed by an officer, according to an ABC 15 report.
Sgt. Steve Martos of the Phoenix Police Department said police are currently unsure of what the man was shooting toward.
The incident occurred near 10th Street and Van Buren, where officers immediately engaged the man. The gunman was soon shot by one officer.
After a brief flee from police, the man was found dead near the intersection of 9th Street and Taylor.
During the episode, which is currently under investigation, another officer was bitten by a police K-9 dog, suffering a minor injury.
Martos says it’s not clear whether the man died of a self-inflicted gunshot
wound or if he died as a result of the shots fired by the officer.
Investigators haven’t identified the man.
The Associated Press contributed to this report
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.