PHOENIX — Something you should be looking out for in traffic today is the bicyclist that may be riding in the middle of your lane. It turns out that the bike rider has the right to be there.
A billboard on the northbound side of State Route 143 near Sky Harbor International Airport has lane stripes on the left side. It uses a drawing of a bike to complete the phrase, “Every lane is a bike lane.”
The Tempe Bicycle Action Group paid for the billboard.
“There’s certain bicycle laws and certain traffic laws in general in Arizona that permit bicycles to be on the roadway, and I don’t think a lot of people know that,” said Mark Tauber, the group’s president. “Arizona traffic law Title 28 states that the bicycle should be to the right, but the bicycle has all of the laws and regulations and rights that apply to a car.
“If I’m making a left turn, I’m allowed to go across the lane.”
A Tempe police sergeant said he’s right.
“Bicyclists can be in the same places as cars, as long as they are not impeding traffic,” Sgt. Steve Carbajal said. “If they’re going too slowly, they can be to the right, but they do have the same privileges as cars and a can do the same things that cars can.”
Other drivers need to be aware of bikes that might be sharing the road.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier