PHOENIX — Something you should be looking out for in traffic today is the bicyclist that may be riding in the middle of your lane. It turns out that the bike rider has the right to be there.
A billboard on the northbound side of State Route 143 near Sky Harbor International Airport has lane stripes on the left side. It uses a drawing of a bike to complete the phrase, “Every lane is a bike lane.”
The Tempe Bicycle Action Group paid for the billboard.
“There’s certain bicycle laws and certain traffic laws in general in Arizona that permit bicycles to be on the roadway, and I don’t think a lot of people know that,” said Mark Tauber, the group’s president. “Arizona traffic law Title 28 states that the bicycle should be to the right, but the bicycle has all of the laws and regulations and rights that apply to a car.
“If I’m making a left turn, I’m allowed to go across the lane.”
A Tempe police sergeant said he’s right.
“Bicyclists can be in the same places as cars, as long as they are not impeding traffic,” Sgt. Steve Carbajal said. “If they’re going too slowly, they can be to the right, but they do have the same privileges as cars and a can do the same things that cars can.”
Other drivers need to be aware of bikes that might be sharing the road.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development