PHOENIX — Something you should be looking out for in traffic today is the bicyclist that may be riding in the middle of your lane. It turns out that the bike rider has the right to be there.
A billboard on the northbound side of State Route 143 near Sky Harbor International Airport has lane stripes on the left side. It uses a drawing of a bike to complete the phrase, “Every lane is a bike lane.”
The Tempe Bicycle Action Group paid for the billboard.
“There’s certain bicycle laws and certain traffic laws in general in Arizona that permit bicycles to be on the roadway, and I don’t think a lot of people know that,” said Mark Tauber, the group’s president. “Arizona traffic law Title 28 states that the bicycle should be to the right, but the bicycle has all of the laws and regulations and rights that apply to a car.
“If I’m making a left turn, I’m allowed to go across the lane.”
A Tempe police sergeant said he’s right.
“Bicyclists can be in the same places as cars, as long as they are not impeding traffic,” Sgt. Steve Carbajal said. “If they’re going too slowly, they can be to the right, but they do have the same privileges as cars and a can do the same things that cars can.”
Other drivers need to be aware of bikes that might be sharing the road.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them