PHOENIX — Something you should be looking out for in traffic today is the bicyclist that may be riding in the middle of your lane. It turns out that the bike rider has the right to be there.
A billboard on the northbound side of State Route 143 near Sky Harbor International Airport has lane stripes on the left side. It uses a drawing of a bike to complete the phrase, “Every lane is a bike lane.”
The Tempe Bicycle Action Group paid for the billboard.
“There’s certain bicycle laws and certain traffic laws in general in Arizona that permit bicycles to be on the roadway, and I don’t think a lot of people know that,” said Mark Tauber, the group’s president. “Arizona traffic law Title 28 states that the bicycle should be to the right, but the bicycle has all of the laws and regulations and rights that apply to a car.
“If I’m making a left turn, I’m allowed to go across the lane.”
A Tempe police sergeant said he’s right.
“Bicyclists can be in the same places as cars, as long as they are not impeding traffic,” Sgt. Steve Carbajal said. “If they’re going too slowly, they can be to the right, but they do have the same privileges as cars and a can do the same things that cars can.”
Other drivers need to be aware of bikes that might be sharing the road.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night