PHOENIX — Three children have been placed under the custody of Child Protective Services after their mother was arrested Friday in connection with allegations of burning one of them.
Twenty-six-year-old Anna Elena Ochoa was arrested by deputies from the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office after they received an anonymous tip that Ochoa had been abusive towards her children.
Lt. Brandon Jones said deputies went to Ochoa’s Gila Bend apartment and discovered that her 2-year-old child had been severely burned on the buttocks.
“He did have burns consistent with physically touching or physically being placed onto a burner…an electric stove-top burner,” he said.
Jones said Ochoa told police she had burned the toddler on Tuesday because she was annoyed after the boy wet himself.
“She then proceeded to remove his clothing, turn on the stove-top burner and hold him over the burner for an unspecified amount of time,” Jones said.
Ochoa then reportedly clothed the boy and continued getting ready for work.
“She didn’t tend to any injuries or anything,” Jones said.
A forensic medical examination revealed the burns consisted of several half circles that were beginning to scab and covered both of the boy’s buttocks, according to MCSO.
The boy also reportedly had other marks on his body including bruises on his lower back and blisters on his lips and fingers.
All three of Ochoa’s children, including a 1- and a 4-year-old, were placed into the care of CPS and Ochoa was charged with one count of child abuse.
She was booked into Fourth Avenue Jail late Friday.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck