PHOENIX — Three children have been placed under the custody of Child Protective Services after their mother was arrested Friday in connection with allegations of burning one of them.
Twenty-six-year-old Anna Elena Ochoa was arrested by deputies from the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office after they received an anonymous tip that Ochoa had been abusive towards her children.
Lt. Brandon Jones said deputies went to Ochoa’s Gila Bend apartment and discovered that her 2-year-old child had been severely burned on the buttocks.
“He did have burns consistent with physically touching or physically being placed onto a burner…an electric stove-top burner,” he said.
Jones said Ochoa told police she had burned the toddler on Tuesday because she was annoyed after the boy wet himself.
“She then proceeded to remove his clothing, turn on the stove-top burner and hold him over the burner for an unspecified amount of time,” Jones said.
Ochoa then reportedly clothed the boy and continued getting ready for work.
“She didn’t tend to any injuries or anything,” Jones said.
A forensic medical examination revealed the burns consisted of several half circles that were beginning to scab and covered both of the boy’s buttocks, according to MCSO.
The boy also reportedly had other marks on his body including bruises on his lower back and blisters on his lips and fingers.
All three of Ochoa’s children, including a 1- and a 4-year-old, were placed into the care of CPS and Ochoa was charged with one count of child abuse.
She was booked into Fourth Avenue Jail late Friday.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food