PHOENIX — Three children have been placed under the custody of Child Protective Services after their mother was arrested Friday in connection with allegations of burning one of them.
Twenty-six-year-old Anna Elena Ochoa was arrested by deputies from the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office after they received an anonymous tip that Ochoa had been abusive towards her children.
Lt. Brandon Jones said deputies went to Ochoa’s Gila Bend apartment and discovered that her 2-year-old child had been severely burned on the buttocks.
“He did have burns consistent with physically touching or physically being placed onto a burner…an electric stove-top burner,” he said.
Jones said Ochoa told police she had burned the toddler on Tuesday because she was annoyed after the boy wet himself.
“She then proceeded to remove his clothing, turn on the stove-top burner and hold him over the burner for an unspecified amount of time,” Jones said.
Ochoa then reportedly clothed the boy and continued getting ready for work.
“She didn’t tend to any injuries or anything,” Jones said.
A forensic medical examination revealed the burns consisted of several half circles that were beginning to scab and covered both of the boy’s buttocks, according to MCSO.
The boy also reportedly had other marks on his body including bruises on his lower back and blisters on his lips and fingers.
All three of Ochoa’s children, including a 1- and a 4-year-old, were placed into the care of CPS and Ochoa was charged with one count of child abuse.
She was booked into Fourth Avenue Jail late Friday.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development