PHOENIX — A Valley couple is on a mission to tackle the problem of hunger in our community.
“In Arizona, one in four is hungry, that’s 25 percent of our kids who don’t know where their next meal is coming from,” said Kitchen on the Street CEO Lisa Scarpinato.
She said the idea came when a friend told them a story about a second grade student from Sudan who would go through garbage cans after lunch and would save scraps in her pocket.
“She looked for any food she could find,” said Scarpinato. “That’s because she had a brother and sister, they got breakfast and lunch at school, but they didn’t really eat on weekends.”
Together on a weekly basis, Scarpinato and a friend fill 1,500 bags of individually portioned, shelf-stable meals and snacks that contain 50 grams of protein and 20 grams of fiber. Each child is presented the bag on Friday to ensure they have food until Monday.
“We’re getting good feedback,” said Vince Scarpinato. “It helps them with attendance, helps them with behavior, with grades. The kids are ready to learn when they show up with a little food in them.”
Scarpinato said the effort goes beyond filling hungry bellies.
“We call these Bags of Hope. We feel once you lose hope there’s nothing left.”
Currently, there are over 650 children that are on the Kitchen on the Street waiting list because of a need for more food and resources. For more information, click here.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths