TEMPE, Ariz. — A car wash in Tempe hosted a fundraiser Friday for a cab driver who survived two shots to the head.
A customer shot Milton Odom in his cab Aug. 23 in Mesa. Odom survived the injuries, and now has a hefty hospital bill on the way.
“I’m estimating from other injuries that I’ve had and other surgeries, it will probably be some place in the $150,000 to $200,000 range,” Odom said.
Cab drivers are independent contractors and don’t have medical insurance. Odom said he was saving to buy his own policy, but didn’t have one when the shooting happened.
Friday, fellow cabbies came together at the Wash Wizard near McClintock and University drives for a fundraiser to support Odom.
“It’s been a tremendous turnout. The owner of the car wash is donating 35 percent of his proceeds from the day, and the coffee shop that’s attached is also making donations.”
The Arizona Cardinals also chipped on, donating an autographed Patrick Peterson football to be auctioned off.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon