A new study shows how well the Arizona Cardinals do this season may have an impact on fans’ waistlines.
A study in the academic journal Psychological Science found that fans of losing teams consume more calories than those who root for winning teams.
“It actually does make sense because whenever anybody has anxiety about something, your body produces what’s called stress-hormones,” said Scottsdale dietician Karen Graham.
Graham said when people feel that stress, they tend to eat foods that produce so-called “happy hormones,” which are often high in fat and sugar.
“There are foods that are healthier that will have same sort of feeling and help you relax,” said Graham. “Those are foods that are typically high in tryptophan, and they give you this feeling of relaxation.”
Walnuts, avocados, bananas are just some foods that are a healthy alternative to a bag of chips or tub of ice cream. Foods that are high in Omega 3, such as salmon and flax seed, can also help change fan’s moods after their team loses, according to Graham.
“If you root for a losing team, it’s good to keep these things around your office or at home so you can reach for those and get that same sort of benefit without all of the saturated fat and calories,” she said.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon