A new study shows how well the Arizona Cardinals do this season may have an impact on fans’ waistlines.
A study in the academic journal Psychological Science found that fans of losing teams consume more calories than those who root for winning teams.
“It actually does make sense because whenever anybody has anxiety about something, your body produces what’s called stress-hormones,” said Scottsdale dietician Karen Graham.
Graham said when people feel that stress, they tend to eat foods that produce so-called “happy hormones,” which are often high in fat and sugar.
“There are foods that are healthier that will have same sort of feeling and help you relax,” said Graham. “Those are foods that are typically high in tryptophan, and they give you this feeling of relaxation.”
Walnuts, avocados, bananas are just some foods that are a healthy alternative to a bag of chips or tub of ice cream. Foods that are high in Omega 3, such as salmon and flax seed, can also help change fan’s moods after their team loses, according to Graham.
“If you root for a losing team, it’s good to keep these things around your office or at home so you can reach for those and get that same sort of benefit without all of the saturated fat and calories,” she said.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night