A new study shows how well the Arizona Cardinals do this season may have an impact on fans’ waistlines.
A study in the academic journal Psychological Science found that fans of losing teams consume more calories than those who root for winning teams.
“It actually does make sense because whenever anybody has anxiety about something, your body produces what’s called stress-hormones,” said Scottsdale dietician Karen Graham.
Graham said when people feel that stress, they tend to eat foods that produce so-called “happy hormones,” which are often high in fat and sugar.
“There are foods that are healthier that will have same sort of feeling and help you relax,” said Graham. “Those are foods that are typically high in tryptophan, and they give you this feeling of relaxation.”
Walnuts, avocados, bananas are just some foods that are a healthy alternative to a bag of chips or tub of ice cream. Foods that are high in Omega 3, such as salmon and flax seed, can also help change fan’s moods after their team loses, according to Graham.
“If you root for a losing team, it’s good to keep these things around your office or at home so you can reach for those and get that same sort of benefit without all of the saturated fat and calories,” she said.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths