PHOENIX — Dealing with teens is not an easy task, especially when it comes to discipline. A new study out of the University of Pittsburgh suggests that harshly yelling at your kids, swearing or calling them names puts them at greater risk for repeating bad behavior and becoming addressed.
The study says that a majority of parents that most parents will use “harsh verbal discipline,” but there hasn’t been any studies to suggest what effect it has on adolescents in particular.
University researchers discovered, ” adolescents who had experienced harsh verbal discipline suffered from increased levels of depressive symptoms, and were more likely to demonstrate behavioral problems such as vandalism or antisocial and aggressive behavior. Authors also found that the negative effects of verbal discipline within the two-year period of their study were comparable to the effects shown over the same period of time in other studies that focused on physical discipline.”
“That’s absolutely true,” said Phoenix Clinical psychologist Melissa Estavillo. “When kids are told they are bad, terrible, ugly, stupid. Those are they things I think children internalize so deeply and carry for the rest of their lives,” she added.
Estavillo added that the best way to change and motivate behavior is actually positive encouragement.
“When you praise and highlight things like good grades, that makes it much more likely to increase that behavior than punishment ever would,” said Estavillo.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them