PHOENIX — Police are searching for clues in a case that left a man with a promising future dead.
“He was the most noble, respectable young man,” said 17-year-old Alexis Urbina-Ochoa’s family member Andrew Soto. “He made friends everywhere he went, you couldn’t help but to like him.”
Urbina-Ochoa stayed home from school on Sept. 3. A family member last saw at 10 a.m. and when his mother returned, she found him beaten and unconscious.
“The thing about a kid like Alexis, he can make friends anywhere he goes, but the more they accomplish, the more jealousy they also create. That’s the only reason I can think of for someone wanting to hurt him,” said Soto.
Investigators are treating his death as a homicide, but they are awaiting autopsy results to determine manner of death. There were no obvious signs of forced entry but investigators believe there are items missing from the home. The motive is not clear at this point but it is possible it is a robbery gone wrong.
Urbina-Ochoa had recently won the USA Nationals for boxing and hoped to become the first Arizonan since Michael Carbajal to represent the state in the Olympics.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon