PHOENIX — Police are searching for clues in a case that left a man with a promising future dead.
“He was the most noble, respectable young man,” said 17-year-old Alexis Urbina-Ochoa’s family member Andrew Soto. “He made friends everywhere he went, you couldn’t help but to like him.”
Urbina-Ochoa stayed home from school on Sept. 3. A family member last saw at 10 a.m. and when his mother returned, she found him beaten and unconscious.
“The thing about a kid like Alexis, he can make friends anywhere he goes, but the more they accomplish, the more jealousy they also create. That’s the only reason I can think of for someone wanting to hurt him,” said Soto.
Investigators are treating his death as a homicide, but they are awaiting autopsy results to determine manner of death. There were no obvious signs of forced entry but investigators believe there are items missing from the home. The motive is not clear at this point but it is possible it is a robbery gone wrong.
Urbina-Ochoa had recently won the USA Nationals for boxing and hoped to become the first Arizonan since Michael Carbajal to represent the state in the Olympics.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.