PHOENIX — A Valley woman who moved from Syria said she strongly opposes the United States military taking action in her homeland.
Jumana Hadeed said she has lost family members at the hands of the Assad regime and had another family member killed by rebel opposition.
Many in Congress have made it no secret that they support those rebel opposition groups. Hadeed said, as badly as she despises the Syria President Bashar al-Assad, she fears these opposition groups even more.
Hadeed said the United States will practically hand over Syria to radical groups — including members of al-Qaeda — if missile strikes are carried out.
“It didn’t work in Afghanistan or Iraq. It certainly won’t work in Syria,” she said. “It is very clear that there should not be any U.S. military strikes because it won’t accomplish anything.”
Hadeed said Americans know very little about the real situation in Syria beyond what they see on the news or hear about from Congress and President Barack Obama. She suggested that U.S. involvement could ignite a regional conflict that could lead to a stunning number of casualties, and not just within the Syrian borders.
“Absolutely it will escalate the killing and the bloodshed and we cannot afford to do that. Both sides need to negotiate peace ASAP.”
More than 100,000 people have been killed in Syria’s brutal civil war. About 4,000 of those victims, including children, were killed by chemical weapons.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier