PHOENIX — A Valley woman who moved from Syria said she strongly opposes the United States military taking action in her homeland.
Jumana Hadeed said she has lost family members at the hands of the Assad regime and had another family member killed by rebel opposition.
Many in Congress have made it no secret that they support those rebel opposition groups. Hadeed said, as badly as she despises the Syria President Bashar al-Assad, she fears these opposition groups even more.
Hadeed said the United States will practically hand over Syria to radical groups — including members of al-Qaeda — if missile strikes are carried out.
“It didn’t work in Afghanistan or Iraq. It certainly won’t work in Syria,” she said. “It is very clear that there should not be any U.S. military strikes because it won’t accomplish anything.”
Hadeed said Americans know very little about the real situation in Syria beyond what they see on the news or hear about from Congress and President Barack Obama. She suggested that U.S. involvement could ignite a regional conflict that could lead to a stunning number of casualties, and not just within the Syrian borders.
“Absolutely it will escalate the killing and the bloodshed and we cannot afford to do that. Both sides need to negotiate peace ASAP.”
More than 100,000 people have been killed in Syria’s brutal civil war. About 4,000 of those victims, including children, were killed by chemical weapons.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food