PHOENIX — A Valley woman who moved from Syria said she strongly opposes the United States military taking action in her homeland.
Jumana Hadeed said she has lost family members at the hands of the Assad regime and had another family member killed by rebel opposition.
Many in Congress have made it no secret that they support those rebel opposition groups. Hadeed said, as badly as she despises the Syria President Bashar al-Assad, she fears these opposition groups even more.
Hadeed said the United States will practically hand over Syria to radical groups — including members of al-Qaeda — if missile strikes are carried out.
“It didn’t work in Afghanistan or Iraq. It certainly won’t work in Syria,” she said. “It is very clear that there should not be any U.S. military strikes because it won’t accomplish anything.”
Hadeed said Americans know very little about the real situation in Syria beyond what they see on the news or hear about from Congress and President Barack Obama. She suggested that U.S. involvement could ignite a regional conflict that could lead to a stunning number of casualties, and not just within the Syrian borders.
“Absolutely it will escalate the killing and the bloodshed and we cannot afford to do that. Both sides need to negotiate peace ASAP.”
More than 100,000 people have been killed in Syria’s brutal civil war. About 4,000 of those victims, including children, were killed by chemical weapons.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life