PHOENIX — U.S. Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) held a town hall at the Burton Barr Library in Phoenix to outline his support for United States military action in Syria and was met by about 100 people largely opposed to it.
One man held up a bag of marshmallows to show the senator, and said that’s how he views Congress.
“This is what they are. This is what they have become. Why are you not listening to the people and staying out of Syria? It is not our fight, back Israel. If you attack the Syrians, who do you think they will take it out on? Israel. Why are you not supporting Israel?”
Jumana Hadeed is from Syria and had one of the more heated exchanges with McCain during the event.
“Listen to the American people, who do not want you to go there. This is not an issue to be taken lightly Sen. McCain. Ten days ago one of my family members was killed in Syria by the rebel opposition the U.S. wants to support.”
Afterward, Hadeed said the American people know little about Syria and the Assad regime, a regime she despises, but not to the point that she supports rebel groups.
“By bombing Syria, the United States is basically helping radical groups, who came to Syria and are causing havoc.”
Hadeed said bombing Syria won’t accomplish anything.
“It didn’t work in Afghanistan or Iraq and it certainly won’t be successful in Syria.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon