PHOENIX — U.S. Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) held a town hall at the Burton Barr Library in Phoenix to outline his support for United States military action in Syria and was met by about 100 people largely opposed to it.
One man held up a bag of marshmallows to show the senator, and said that’s how he views Congress.
“This is what they are. This is what they have become. Why are you not listening to the people and staying out of Syria? It is not our fight, back Israel. If you attack the Syrians, who do you think they will take it out on? Israel. Why are you not supporting Israel?”
Jumana Hadeed is from Syria and had one of the more heated exchanges with McCain during the event.
“Listen to the American people, who do not want you to go there. This is not an issue to be taken lightly Sen. McCain. Ten days ago one of my family members was killed in Syria by the rebel opposition the U.S. wants to support.”
Afterward, Hadeed said the American people know little about Syria and the Assad regime, a regime she despises, but not to the point that she supports rebel groups.
“By bombing Syria, the United States is basically helping radical groups, who came to Syria and are causing havoc.”
Hadeed said bombing Syria won’t accomplish anything.
“It didn’t work in Afghanistan or Iraq and it certainly won’t be successful in Syria.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night