PHOENIX — U.S. Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) held a town hall at the Burton Barr Library in Phoenix to outline his support for United States military action in Syria and was met by about 100 people largely opposed to it.
One man held up a bag of marshmallows to show the senator, and said that’s how he views Congress.
“This is what they are. This is what they have become. Why are you not listening to the people and staying out of Syria? It is not our fight, back Israel. If you attack the Syrians, who do you think they will take it out on? Israel. Why are you not supporting Israel?”
Jumana Hadeed is from Syria and had one of the more heated exchanges with McCain during the event.
“Listen to the American people, who do not want you to go there. This is not an issue to be taken lightly Sen. McCain. Ten days ago one of my family members was killed in Syria by the rebel opposition the U.S. wants to support.”
Afterward, Hadeed said the American people know little about Syria and the Assad regime, a regime she despises, but not to the point that she supports rebel groups.
“By bombing Syria, the United States is basically helping radical groups, who came to Syria and are causing havoc.”
Hadeed said bombing Syria won’t accomplish anything.
“It didn’t work in Afghanistan or Iraq and it certainly won’t be successful in Syria.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier