Some Valley attorneys are at odds with the Attorney General’s office over whether Arizonans are breaking the law by playing in a fantasy football league.
A post from Valley attorney Garrick A. McFadden at Footballguys.com said that “playing fantasy sports in the state of Arizona is a violation of ARS 13-3301.”
McFadden said the law even applied to coworkers and friends who join fantasy football leagues or NCAA March Madness pools.
“All fantasy sports, including the NCAA pool, are illegal according to Arizona,” he said.
Another local attorney, Travis Leach, said, “I think that is true.”
That may not the case, after all.
The Attorney General’s office said its interpretation of the law is that fantasy sports are illegal only if the league is run as a for-profit business and players are charged a fee.
For example, some sports websites have fantasy leagues where a fee must be paid to the website and there is a prize for winners. Those are illegal in Arizona. The fine print on the websites said that players in Arizona aren’t eligible to win.
McFadden said many people don’t read the fine print, and send money, anyway. The website should be required to refund money to participants in Arizona, he said. The Attorney General’s Office said it will look into any complaints about those sites that are filed with its consumer-protection division.
In 2012, McFadden tried to start a drive to have the Arizona Legislature to legalize fantasy sports, even online. He dropped his efforts because of family reasons, but is reconsidering.
“We can at least eliminate a dumb law off of the books in Arizona,” he said.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier